The next major milestone on the route out of lockdown begins on Monday, when lots of old freedoms return.
It’s great news for people living in Lowton and Golborne – and for businesses who can now return to something much more like ‘normal’ trading.
Here’s what changes on Monday, 17 May:
- Indoor hospitality such as pubs, restaurants and cafes can reopen. Indoor entertainment can resume, including cinemas, museums, and children’s play areas.
- Up to six people or two households can meet indoors – up to 30 people outdoors.
- All remaining outdoor entertainment can reopen, such as outdoor cinemas and performances. Some larger events will be able to take place, including conferences, theatre and concert performances, and sports events. Restrictions on the number of attendees will remain.
- Hugging close friends and family is now allowed – you are asked to make your own judgements about this. COVID-secure rules remain for the workplace and businesses, such as in shops and hospitality.
- Some international travel can begin again – but you should only visit those foreign countries classified as ‘green’. Strict border control measures will remain in place, including pre-departure tests and a PCR test on or before day two of their arrival back in the UK.
- Face coverings will no longer be needed in classrooms or for students in communal areas in secondary schools and colleges. Twice weekly home testing will remain to control infection rates.
- All remaining university students will be eligible to return to in-person teaching and learning, and should get tested twice a week upon return.
- Up to 30 people can attend weddings, receptions, and commemorative events including wakes. These can take place outdoors or at any indoor Covid secure venue that is permitted to open. The number of people able to attend a funeral will be determined by the number that can be safely accommodated in the venue with social distancing in place.
- 30 people will be able to attend a support group or parent and child group. The limit will not apply to children under 5.
- Organised adult sport and exercise classes can resume indoors and saunas and steam rooms may reopen.
- Care homes residents will be able to have up to five named visitors, with two visitors able to attend at once provided they are tested and follow infection control measures. Residents will also have greater freedoms to leave their home without having to isolate on their return.
Where will you go first?
What are you most looking forward to?
Tell us in the comments.